17 Outdoor Doormats You Need to Greet the Season...and Your Guests
Outdoor doormats are one of those under-appreciated pieces of home décor. People trample all over them without thinking twice, and it’s their actual job to be dirty so that your floors aren’t. But they’re also the first thing guests see when they come to visit and the piece that will greet you each night before you head inside. Since these mats are even more necessary with the new season at hand, when it’s more likely than ever that your new fall boots will be unintentionally trekking in some...souvenirs from all of your outdoor adventures, it makes sense to find one that will add a touch of personality to your home.
A great outdoor door mat will welcome only the things and people you want inside your house, keeping dirt, mud and water outdoors—where it belongs. Here are a few other things to look for when shopping for your perfect pick.
Material: The material of your doormat will not only affect its look, it will have different benefits.
- Coir: Many outdoor doormats are made of coir, which is a natural fiber made of coconut husk. Not only are its thick, coarse bristles naturally water-repellent, it's good for scraping dirt and debris off of shoes. This eco-friendly material is versatile in design, and can be dyed, printed or left plain for a natural look. It’s also naturally UV-resistant, so a good coir rug can reportedly last upwards of 10 years.
- Synthetic fibers: These are popular materials for outdoor doormats due to their durability. Polypropylene, for example, is breathable, water-resistant and stain-resistant. Polypropylene mats are also easy to clean—simply sweep, vacuum, shake, wipe or hose them off.
- Rubber: Rubber is a durable, low-maintenance option that couldn’t be easier to wash, though it tends to have fewer design options. It won't soak up water that lands on it, either, so it tends to stay pretty dry. Beyond that, rubber is über-durable and doesn't move around easily.
- Cotton: While less commonly used for doormats, cotton can actually be super absorbent and handy, as it's largely machine washable. Cotton mats with a mottled appearance can also help to disguise dirt.
Size: Your outdoor mat should cover most of the deck, patio or step leading to your door. It should also be big enough for someone to stand on with both feet, so they’re not doing a hokey pokey dance trying to wipe off their shoes one by one.
Backing: You should look for a doormat that has a rubber or anti-slip backing, so that it stays in place and doesn’t become a tripping hazard.
Ahead are 17 outdoor doormats that will greet the new season—and your guests—all at once.
The Best Outdoor Doormats at a Glance
RELATED: 10 of the Best Area Rugs to Transform Your Space
1. Anthropologie Floral Greeting Doormat
Most colorful doormat
This gorgeous pick comes with a bold, bright floral and leaf pattern that will look great any time of year, but is particularly comely for autumn. The coconut fiber design is eco-friendly, though you will want to make sure it’s covered from the sun and elements to keep it looking vibrant for as long as possible.
Buy It ($48)
2. Nickel Designs Hand-Painted Doormat
Best hand-painted doormat
For something a little more special, try this abstract hand-painted fall mat. It’s made with a mold- and mildew-resistant coir surface that will keep rain and slush at bay. More than that, however, it has a special UV coating that will protect its simple-yet-colorful autumnal design. It also has a sturdy vinyl backing.
Buy It ($47)
3. Gorilla Grip Rubber Door Mat
Most durable doormat
With this doormat, you won’t have to worry about how many pairs of feet show up at your front door. It has a woven polypropylene fabric that’s soft on shoes but tough on dirt and water, as well as a rubber border that’s beveled to trap any unwanted water or grime. When it needs a refresh, you can vacuum, rinse or wipe the mat clean with the hose. Better yet, it comes in more than 20 colors/patterns, so you’re sure to find one that suits your porch.
$39 $25 at Amazon
4. Buffalo Plaid Welcome Mat
Best large outdoor doormat
This doormat is cotton with reinforced edges, which makes it extremely moisture-absorbent for wet feet—and simultaneously machine washable. At 23 inches by 51 inches, it’s also bigger than most doormats you’ll find, making it easy to cover the entirely of your outdoor entry space.
$23 at Amazon
5. Embossed Leaf Doormat
Best rubber doormat
You won’t have to worry about how your doormat is faring outdoors with this 100 percent rubber mat, which has an attractive embossed leaf design. When it gets a little grimey, you can easily pick it up and shake it or hose it off when needed.
$23 at Amazon
6. Artoid Hello Pumpkin Doormat
Best holiday doormat
This cheeky “hello pumpkin” design is everything you’ll need to get into the autumnal spirit. Made with a mostly 95 percent rubber construction, it will stay right where you put it while also resisting stains from dirt and debris. Its low-profile will also ensure no one trips coming in or going out.
$22 at Amazon
7. Donna Wilson Coir Leaf Collage Doormat
Best coir doormat
Doormat, or work of art? This leaf collage coconut husk coir doormat from textile artist Donna Wilson is a little bit of both. It’s hand-loomed by artisans in India and can be used both indoors or outside for a quick and homey pop of color. To keep its hues vibrant, however, you’ll want to keep it out of direct sunlight.
Buy It ($30)
Bed Bath & Beyond
8. Weather Guard Nature Doormat
Best weatherproof doormat
When you want something really heavy-duty, you can’t go wrong with a Weather Guard doormat, like this one, which also happens to come in multiple fall hues. It’s made of a super rugged rough and tumble polypropylene and rubber that customers say stands up against the elements, and there’s a skid-resistant backing to keep it from slipping and slipping around outside your door.
Buy It ($40)
9. Anthropologie Autumn Leaf Doormat
Best overall outdoor doormat
If you really want to up the fall ante, this coconut fiber leaf-shaped doormat is for you. Not only is it one of the most unique pieces around, with vivid colors that customers say are downright right beautiful, it’s generously sized to fit under both feet. Note that you may need to add a more sturdy backing to it and keep it in a sheltered area to keep it in primo shape.
Buy It ($38)
10. mDesign Welcome Mat
Best non-slip mat
We all know how important first impressions are, so make sure the one your home makes is a good one with this welcoming coir mat, which is reinforced with a flexible, non-slip backing to keep your visitors free from any mishaps. Its tough bristles, meanwhile, will protect your house from dirt or dust, and you can choose from nine different colors/designs to best suit your aesthetic.
$20 at Amazon
11. Juvale Coco Coir Mat
Most versatile doormat
This eco-friendly coconut coir mat is great for fall...and winter...and spring...you get the idea. With its neutral cross design, UV- and water-resistant fibers and non-slip backing, you can use it in any area of your outdoor space at any given time of year. Customers say it's of a nice quality, too.
$17 at Amazon
12. Elrene Come In and Cozy Up Doormat
Best cozy doormat
This rug may be made of 100 percent coir, but you’d never know it at a glance. The black, white and red plaid pick will make you feel just as warm and cozy as you would throwing on a favorite flannel shirt. It’s thick enough to collect dirt and grime from even the busiest stoops, and it’s weather- and UV-resistant besides.
Buy It ($60 $25)
Bed Bath & Beyond
13. Autumn doormat
Best initial doormat
This charming autumn design has a personal touch with the ability to customize it with one initial and a last name of up to 15 characters. While reviewers say it’s on the thinner side, it can double as a low-pile indoor mat when more wintery weather starts to settle in. It’s also got a nice skid-resistant backing.
Buy It ($43)
Bed Bath & Beyond
14. Weather Guard Bombay Doormat
Best personalized doormat
You can customize this all-weather door mat, which is available in eight jewel tones, with the first letter of your last name. It has an anti-static polypropylene top and a rubber border to trap water and dirt, and it's also mildew- and fade-resistant, so it won't easily be damaged by the sun.
Buy It ($60)
15. Hello Cat Doormat
Best funny doormat
Put a grin on your houseguests’ face before they ever enter your abode with this darling cat mat, which is handmade with natural coir. Its strong fibers are absorbent and it has a heavy duty non-slip rubber backing, too.
Buy It (From $28 $14)
16. Mohawk Home Ornamental Entryway Doormat
Best mosaic doormat
This tasteful doormat is made with recycled rubber and comes in two subtle-yet-classy color patterns that will harmonize with your home’s décor. It also stretches slightly longer than most doormats, giving your porch more coverage without being overpowering and leaving the perfect first impression. Simply spot clean it with water to keep it looking fresh.
$70 $30 at Amazon
RELATED: PSA: Machine Washable Area Rugs Are Becoming a Thing
17. Avera Welcome Coir Fiber Doormat
Best sustainable doormat
Use this mat to welcome guests to your home, sweet home. Its natural coir is made for indoor/outdoor use and there’s a PVC non-slip backing to keep it in place. While it can handle dirt and grime from your wet shoes, you’ll want to make sure it’s under an awning or covering to keep its multicolored leaves looking their best.
$26 at Amazon
The 8 Best Indoor Door Mats For Your Home
Indoor door mats are a must when it comes to protecting your floors from dirt and debris. The best indoor door mats are made of absorbent and durable materials that are comfortable enough to walk on but strong enough to last. These mats should feature a non-slip backing (often made of rubber) so they won’t slide around. It’s also important that the mats are easy to clean, with a low profile (ideally under 1/2 inch thick) to avoid getting in the way of your door.
Indoor mats can be made from a number of materials with a variety of benefits. Polypropylene is strong, absorbent, and comfortable to walk on. Rubber mats are water-resistant and extremely durable. Many mats also feature raised rubber or polypropylene designs, which help scrape dirt, mud, sand, and other debris off the bottom of shoes. If you like to go barefoot, cotton or microfiber mats are extra-soft, so they'll feel great on the feet, plus they're very absorbent. Both rubber and microfiber mats can be super helpful if you need a doormat for dogs, too. That said, while lots of mats can be used outdoors as well as indoors, softer mats are usually indoor-only. These may not capture as much in the way of debris as outdoor door mats, but are a useful second line of defense when it comes to ensuring that your doormats thoroughly clean shoes without allowing dirt into the rest of the house.
Regardless of which material you choose for your door mat, it’s going to get dirty — so it’s important that your mat be easy to clean. Many can be vacuumed, but some are conveniently machine washable. Cotton or microfiber mats are especially prone to getting moldy or mildewy, so be sure to clean them frequently. Some doormats can look fairly stylish, but they do tend towards function over fashion, so if you want to decorate your doorway, you might enjoy pairing them with a pretty, functional entryway rug.
These indoor door mats boast thousands of glowing reviews on Amazon. Reviewers indicate that these mats are super functional and plenty stylish, too.
Best All-Weather Floor Mats
Spilling a crockpot of chili or tracking sludge onto a cab’s pristine interior carpet is a universal disappointment. To help preserve the appearance and value and of a vehicle, many owners opt for an upgraded floor mat. Generally, aftermarket mats are built to a higher standard and provide more protection than original factory mats.
All-weather mats are made with materials that endure a range of elements such as snow, slush, rain or pebble-filled mud. They also have ruts or channels that retain debris, keeping it on the mat and off the carpet or other interior surfaces. When they become heavily soiled or filled with gunk, they are easily removable and washable. All-weather mats also withstand road salt, which is applied to highways across the U.S. for winter maintenance. The states with the highest salt volume are in the Northeast and Great Lakes region including Connecticut, New York, Wisconsin and Michigan.
Depending on where you live, your lifestyle or occupation, the utility of all-weather mats can provide value year-round. Others may choose to use their original mats and swap them out during the summer season when conditions are drier.
For our list of the best all-weather floor mats, we specifically examined universal all-weather floor mats, rather than liners or carpet mats. The selection also represents a wide variety features, shapes and color options to complement a range of vehicles. These are our top six picks.
Best For Keeping Your Carpet Clean: Motor Trend FlexTough Contour Liners Deep Dish Heavy-Duty Floor Mats
Why We Picked It:
Motor Trend FlexTough Contour Deep Dish Heavy-Duty floor mats provide sweeping coverage without a hefty price tag and fit most cars, vans, SUVs and pickup trucks. They can easily be trimmed with a pair of scissors along predetermined lines to match exact contours, and come in a wide variety of color options to match different interiors. This set includes two spacious mats for the front measuring 30 by 21.5 inches and one backseat mat measuring 58 by 18 inches. With the exception of the middle backseat passenger, everyone’s shoes rest in a rubber tray. The deep-dish design features a mix of linear and diagonal ridges that trap dirt while establishing superior foot traction. Built with rubber, these mats can withstand heavy foot traffic and endure use over time.
- Each interior dish catches slush, snow and liquids but has a flexible, no-snag edge
- Nibs on the undersides help to secure the mats in place
- An economic price tag despite a broad coverage
- Generic, non-custom silhouette, so there’s not a 100% match guarantee
- Though tagged as an odorless product, vehicle owners that are sensitive to smell might notice the rubber scent
- At 1-inch high, the rubber lacks rigidity, which could be a downfall for drivers that need sturdier all-weather mats year-round for extreme weather and environmental conditions or beneath hardy footwear tread
Best For Three-Row Vehicles: FH Group 3Row All Weather Floor Mats
Why We Picked It:
If SUV and minivan owners with kids and pets are looking for a nimble, affordable collection, this mat trio provides a functional, budget-friendly solution for floor coverage beneath all three rows. Molded from vinyl, these relatively inexpensive mats are durable, moisture-resistant and easy to clean. The lightweight design makes daily spill and crumb cleanup more manageable and less stressful. At 11.4 pounds, drivers can easily pull out the entire set for a wash. On the downside, only the width can be altered. For an optimal fit, owners are advised to triple-check their floor dimensions to ensure the mat length is compatible with their application. The front mat is 28.7 by 18.5 inches. The two rear mats are 54.4 by 17.1 inches. The height on each is 2.76 inches, which is useful for containing wet messes or slushy snow. The price point is reasonable considering it outfits all three rows.
- Designed to be trimmed to width, so vehicle owners can cut away excess material along the sides of mats
- Outermost ridge is tall, which helps to contain spillage or slush
- The plastic is waterproof and stain-resistant
- The grooves are not ultra-stiff or deep making them less suitable for excursions with tons of sand, mud or snow
- The nib backing doesn’t hold the mats in place against rough, high-volume foot traffic
- Not as durable as rubber, vinyl mats might show wear and tear with time
Best If You Have Pets: Husky Liners Uni-Fit All-Weather Floor Mats
Why We Picked It:
This four-piece set is a solid choice for both construction workers and transporting furry friends. These burly mats offer sturdiness beneath heavy foot and paw traffic. With a 3-inch height and more than 14 pounds of material weight, plus the underside retention system, they stay in place. The perimeter is raised but the ridges throughout help trap mud, water and dirt before it reaches the edges. The front mats are 28 by 18 inches and the rear mats are 21 by 17 inches. These are universal floor mats, but the manufacturer also has the ability to match mats to a specific vehicle.
- Consumers can use a utility knife (not scissors) to trim the mat for a better fit
- A center channel system funnels and holds liquids or melted snow away from the periphery of the mat
- Stout tread and grooves catch dirt, rocks, grass and water
- The mat’s heavy weight makes lifting in and out harder
- Since they are a universal fit, trimming is likely inevitable
- Cutting around the nubs is time-consuming
Best For Easy Removal and Cleaning: OxGord Car Floor Mats
Why We Picked It:
Vehicle owners searching for a streamlined all-weather option, especially those who live in mild climates, should consider the OxGord Floor Mats. The front two mats are 17.5 by 29.5 inches. Two independent rear mats—18.25 by 18.75 inches—protect the floor beneath the passenger windows. The divided design leaves the centermost backseat floor bare. But compared with door-to-door backseat mats, separate mats are easier to remove for cleaning—and the smaller, more manageable size prevents dumping or smudging grime onto the carpet and seats. The height on the sides, however, is shallow (0.25 inches) so water doesn’t pool and can evaporate quickly. Buyers can trim the sides of the mats for a narrower girth.
- Easy-to-clean backseat mats
- Constructed with rubber, these mats are durable and waterproof
- Shallower grooves allow moisture to evaporate quickly
- Not ready out-of-the-box: The mats initially smell like rubber and the manufacturer recommends airing out prior to use
- Four-piece set does not provide coverage of carpet above transmission tunnel
- The shallow depth of the traction ridges aren’t optimal for drivers in extremely snowy locations
Best for Budget-Minded Buyers: BDK ProLiner Original All Weather Floor Mats
Why We Picked It:
This three-piece mat collection is similar to the OxGord Car Floor Mats. Both are made of rubber, but are a lighter weight, and they combine divots and columns of ridges to catch fluids and supply grip. The silhouette of the BDK set, however, offers different coverage with a contoured section connecting the rear mats, protecting the middlemost floor segment. The front mats are 27 by 18 inches and the rear is 17 by 54 inches. There also are different guided edges that buyers can uses to find the proper fitment. The low price point will be attractive for buyer shopping on a budget. These also are a very popular floor mat for older vehicles.
- Long-lasting durability for an extremely affordable price point
- A less precise fit allows space to easily install and remove for cleaning
- Wide backseat mat shields the central floor between passenger seats
- Less overall coverage along edges, leaving exposed carpet
- Need to air out before use
- Inexpensive price point means they aren’t top of the line
Best for Extreme Weather Conditions: WeatherTech All-Weather Floor Mats
Why We Picked It:
WeatherTech mats carry a premium priced for good reason. While the company is the gold standard for many consumers, they are expensive, especially if they are custom-fit to your vehicle. But they offer an affordable product that is a smart alternative and, depending on where drivers live and their occupation, can provide the ideal installation for just a tad more money than budget-oriented mats. The 3/8-inch deeply sculpted channels catch debris, mud, sand, snow, road salt or water. The brand also offers a trim-to-fit set ($48) and model-specific front and rear mat setups ($160) that work with a range of vehicles—from a Toyota Tacoma to a Ford Explorer (even when configured with three rows). They are made from a rubber-like, proprietary compound that is manufacturer certified and contains no lead, cadmium or toxic plastics. The material also is 100% recyclable, latex-free and does not carry a strong plastic or chemical odor.
- These mats offer a precise fit and are engineered to withstand battering weather
- Rubber-like material is engineered to remain flexible even in extreme cold
- Tough anti-skid nods secure the mats in place.
- Steeper price
- Denser, definitive fit makes removal and cleaning more time-consuming
- Not a short-term investment
- All-season heavy-duty rubber floor mat (4-piece set: front, full-coverage back, and cargo liner) for any car, SUV, or truck; easy to clean and maintain
- Made of premium, thick, heavy-duty BPA-free rubber that’s nontoxic and odorless; long-lasting, fade-resistant design won’t crack, split, or warp under harsh conditions
- Ergonomic no-slip grooves on the top provide comfortable foot traction, while anti-slip rubberized spikes on the bottom keep the mats securely in place
- Only fits with 2nd row bucket seats. Rear liner covers 2nd and 3rd row area. Second Row Floormat Liner has an Optional trim line for vehicles equipped with the second row center console. (Please see included trim instructions). Vehicle carpet protection with a low density precisely molded material that provides floorboard coverage
- Top of the line all-weather, stain-resistant, 100% odorless protection that gives your car, van, truck, or SUV interior a first class look while protecting the resale value
- Custom fit precision of the mat protects your vehicles carpet floor by stopping spills and any other mess thanks to the liners raised and strengthened lip
- Protective workout flooring: Durable, non-skid textured tiles protect floors while creating a comfortable workout space
- Easy assembly: Lightweight puzzle pieces connect quickly and easily, and can be disassembled just as simply for quick storage
- Versatile: The water-and noise-resistant design is easy-to-clean, great for use in garages, gyms, home fitness rooms, or children’s play areas
A good front door mat brushes off all traces of outdoor weather, keeping your entryway from becoming one big muddy mess. But the best welcome mats also look good doing it! We found 15 picks that stand up to the elements, while still serving as chic outdoor decor.
Want to create your own DIY trendy entryway storage bench to complete the look? Learn how by joining Pop Mech Pro!
Get The Step-By-Step Plans
1Refetone Nonslip Doormat
With five eye-catching patterns to choose from, these rubber-backed, flat-weave mats greet guests at the door with their tasteful geometric designs.
Ideal for placing right inside of your entryway, the mat deftly absorbs water and mud, and can be tossed right in the washing machine to make it look like new!
More: Cheap Area Rugs You Can Buy on Amazon
2Abbott Collection Home Plate Doormat
This home plate doormat is sure to be a hit with ballpark-bound households! Measuring 21 inches long, it's cute, yet durable enough to place indoors or out.
3GrassWorx Clean Machine Flair Doormat
If you live in a region that gets very snowy or muddy at certain times of year, opt for this AstroTurf scraper mat above all others. Its look may be simple, but the design is anything but.
This mat's stiff bristles effectively scrape all of the debris off of the crevices of your shoes, and the mat itself is mold- and mildew-resistant, so it won't stay perpetually soggy and gross. A quick hose-off is the best way to keep it in tip-top shape!
4Anthropologie Love Grows Here Doormat
We say that this is the doormat of choice for plant parents everywhere! This too-cute-for-words, coir-fiber welcome mat from Anthropologie is just right for an apartment entryway or covered outdoor area.
5DII Natural Coir Fiber Door Mat
Make guests feel warmly welcomed before they even ring the doorbell! This doormat's bright and cheerful greeting pops against its slate-colored, coir-fiber background.
6Iron Gate Natural Jute Rope Woven Doormat
This jute-fiber welcome mat ties the whole entryway together with its braided-knot design. Though users advise that this mat does require some vacuuming from time to time, they love that the material is quite thick and substantial.
7Gorilla Grip Original Durable Rubber Door Mat
This doormat is best used right inside of your entryway, and is the perfect spot for guests to take off and leave their shoes. It's constructed of quick-drying polypropylene material and backed with recycled rubber to prevent any moisture from seeping through and damaging your floors!
It's available in 15 different colors and designs and users also love that the weighty rubber material also prevents it from slipping out of place.
8Tossed Dash Semi-Circle Doormat
Add a dash of design to your front entryway with this West Elm welcome mat! It's constructed of coir fiber and features a chic semi-circle shape.
9Calloway Mills 'Hey There' Doormat
Lighthearted, but not too cheesy, this all-weather coir doormat greets you whether you're coming or going. Plus, users like that the witty text doesn't fade as quickly as other mats!
10Kempf Half-Moon Rubber Scroll Doormat
A distinguished design and durable rubber build make this half-moon mat a fabulous entryway option. It's weighted enough to resist the wind, and it can be easily moved out of the way to clean and sweep the surrounding area. Plus, it just needs a good hose-down to get dirt and pollen off.
11Threshold Home Sweet Home Doormat
This coir-fiber, modern-farmhouse-style mat looks sweet, but has a heavy-duty quality, perfect for keeping the entryway clean in the muddier months.
12TrafficMASTER Pebbles Door Mat
This 47-inch-long recycled-rubber welcome mat has a cobblestone-accented appearance with an abrasive flocked scraping surface that guests can stamp off all dirt and debris on.
13Williams-Sonoma Double Initial Monogram Doormat
A sweet monogrammed doormat to adorn the newlyweds' entryway, this artfully hand-spun option brushes debris from your shoes, while staying moisture- and mildew-resistant for a fresh look year-round.
14Loop Recycled Rubber Doormat
The playful loops on this rubber front-door mat read as pebbly shapes when displayed atop your front steps. Dirt can be easily scraped off of shoes, while the mat itself just needs a hose-down to restore it to its original cleanliness.
15Thirsty Dots Green Doormat
The name couldn't be more apropos. Ideal for apartment dwellers, this mat's raised dots help scrape off dirt from the outdoors, while the rubber backing and moisture-wicking plastic-fiber material prevents it from deteriorating and getting mildewy. This mat is also available in a range of five colors and three different sizes.
Melanie YatesSenior Home Decor EditorMelanie is the senior home decor editor of Best Products, where she's been researching and testing out home and bedding products since 2015 — her work can also be found on House Beautiful and Women's Health.
This content is created and maintained by a third party, and imported onto this page to help users provide their email addresses. You may be able to find more information about this and similar content at piano.io
Mats amazon indoor
.10 Best Selling Doormats in India Online 2021
You will also be interested:
- Jay calhoun nevada
- Reminder clip art images
- Chef salad calories
- Storage shed makeover
- New luck toy phone number
- Mit mechanics
- Toyota camry 2009
- Large bible stand